1.14.2015

The making of the {Re}Wedding (pt 3) THE CAKE!!

                                                            The Cake was AMAZING!!!

  So, I already mentioned that Micah and I agreed that my creative powers stopped at baking the cake. Really, at cooking anything- but luckily thats where his super powers kick in so we don't all starve in our daily life. Diane Thompson of The Vintage Apron stepped in to bless us with an amazingly YUMMY cake. Visit her Fb page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Vintage-Apron/173509756043869



  The part of the cake that I wanted to do was the decorations. I had seen some beautiful sugar flowers on a cake in a magazine so I bought all the supplies and watched some videos online and went to work. I grabbed my girl Leilani to help me with this big job.





 We made tons of little hydrangea flowers out of gum paste and colored them with this really cool edible powder. Once we got the hang of the shaping and the blending it was so much fun. After about 20 hours of little flower making, we were done...and a little tired of little flowers so we moved on to the cake topper.



These were our grandparents pocket watches. His Grandmother's on the left and my Grandfather's on the right. We nestled them into a bed of moss and propped them up with gears and coo coo clock parts. 
                                    (Thus representing generations off coo coos? Probably.)






We used my Great Grandfathers Civil War sword to cut the cake.



  Almost the first detail that I thought of for the wedding happened while walking with Micah in New Orleans. I thought "Lavender Pear!" that sounds amazing- thats what I want for the wedding cake. We also decided to make that the wedding punch for the reception. So we came up with a drink called Fizzy Pear- ginger ale, pear nectar and lavender...yummm



 
       I knew I would love it for the cake,  but Micah wanted chocolate.  Diane Thompson of The Vintage Apron stepped in to save the day. Diane, being wonderful- did both and blessed us with an amazingly YUMMY cake. Visit her Fb page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Vintage-Apron/173509756043869  For the top layer of the cake she made a gluten free, dairy free, egg free, full flavor Lavender Pear for me. The rest of the cake was a deep chocolate espresso ( she used our favorite- Lavazza espresso). Both flavors were wonderful, I have the most vivid memory of the heavenly flavor from the next morning, when Micah and I went back to the reception site to have our morning coffee and I ate the rest of my cake for breakfast. The perfect stillness of the morning after.... snuggling on the porch, drinking coffee, looking over the misty pond, eating cake and soaking in the perfection of it all. That is one of the dearest memories we have of our wedding weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment